Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency


My friend 'Book Lady', I mean Lynnie Pooh Bear....recommended I read THE NO. 1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY, by Alexander McCall Smith. I am loving it. It's captivating [shouldn't EVERY book be?], and full of reflective, pensive, quotable quotes. Like: "There was a school run by an old Anglican priest and a white woman whose face had been half-destroyed by the sun." [I saw at man at Target the other day whose face was like this!]. Another great quote about homeland: "....every man has a map in his heart of his own country and ... the heart will never allow you to forget this map." Oh...that touched me. And then a spiritual element: "Not a day passes, though, that my mind does not go to God, and to thoughts of what it will be like to die....So I think of God and wonder what he will say to me when i stand before him." And this one killed me: "To lose a child, like that, was something that could end one's world. One could never get back to how it was before. The stars went out. The moon disappeared. The birds became silent." Like I say...that one pained me.
But please, don't let my pain, deter you from reading this book. It ranks up there with Fried Green Tomatoes, and The Shell-Seekers. Contemporary classics. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment