Saturday, October 30, 2010

WHOA BREAKFAST!!!


My friend Celeste recently posted a recipe for Baked Peanut Butter Oatmeal. I am going to have to try it, for my husband loves oatmeal AND peanut butter, so baked Peanut Butter Oatmeal sounds like the perfect marriage of flavors.

However, I discovered a recipe in the October Costco member's magazine Connections. The recipe? WHOA BREAKFAST. And for me, it's the perfect marriage of two of MY favorites: my crockpot...and steel-cut oats. Not only was it perfectly easy AND fast...it stayed with me for over 4 hours. I ate it at 8 a.m. and around 1 pm. I still hadn't had a hunger pang. That's called "satiety." When a food satisfies you for a LONG time. In WeightWatcher lingo, it's called a "Filling Food." You want to choose foods to eat, that will fill you and satisfy you for a long time, and be low in calories [so you don't gain weight eating them.]

Here is the recipe for WHOA BREAKFAST.

1 1/2 C. steel- cut oats [or old- fashioned oats]

3 c. water

2 c. peeled and chopped apples

1/4 c. chopped almonds, walnuts, whatever

1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Combine all, and cook in slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Makes 6 servings.

**[ I put mine on at 10 pm, and checked it at 7 a.m. when I awoke.

It was crusty around the edges of the crockpot...and I just dug it out, and ate it like a cookies.

My husband loved this dish.

And I loved it that it satisfied me for so long.

I would add a packet of sweet n low, or a 1/4 cup of brown sugar Splenda next time.

I like things a little sweeter.


Enjoy! And let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment